“Risk your life and get more than you ever dreamed of.” (Luke 19:26 MSG)
Risks of faith require us to take Step 1 before we see Step 2. God uses risks, large and small, to stretch us into a life of faith. The irony is that if we concentrate on the risks instead of God’s faithfulness, we fail to understand that the greater risk is remaining independent of God.
If we believe what we say we believe, then regardless of what we are able to seeon the other side of a faith-related risk, the reality is that God is there. What may appear to be a no-guarantee situation actually comes with the greatest guarantee of all — a God-guarantee — that he is working everything out (Romans 8:28; Jeremiah 29:11).
- With a God-guarantee, you can enter into the risky obedience of attempting things that are impossible unless God gives you his strength to do them.
- With a God-guarantee, you can enter into the risky obedience of loving other believers so deeply and richly that you prove to the world that you are filled with God’s inexhaustible love.
- With a God-guarantee, you can enter into the risky obedience of loving your seemingly unlovable neighbors, just as God loved you even when you appeared unlovable.
- With a God-guarantee, you can enter into the risky obedience of changing your priorities to match God’s priorities, in faith sacrificing what you cannot keep for the things that can never be taken away.
- With a God-guarantee, you can enter into the risky obedience of telling others about Jesus and teaching them how to faithfully follow him (Matthew 28:19–20).
God guarantees you will succeed when you take the risks of faith he asks you to take. What step of faith have you delayed because you’ve been uncertain about God’s guarantee?
Give God permission to clear any obstacles in your life that keep you from trusting his promise (that, in itself, is a risk that requires faith, isn’t it?).
Jon Walker is the author Costly Grace: A Contemporary View of Bonhoeffer’s ‘The Cost of Discipleship’ and managing editor of Rick Warren’s Daily Devotionals. © 2011 Jon Walker. Used by permission.
Learn More About a Biblical Approach to Your Budget
Saddleback Resources offers Managing Our Finances God’s Way, a 7-week, video-based study for small groups or individuals that will inspire you to live debt-free and/or manage finances in a way that enables you to respond to God’s calling on your life.